Causes of the Dust Bowl
1. See reproducible "Causes of the Dust Bowl"- each cause of the Dust Bowl pasted four times (4 students to a group)
2. Create 7 different folders labeled with a cause of the Dust Bowl and place 4 copies of the reading inside
3. Distribute "Causes of the Dust Bowl Matrix"
4. Divide class into groups of 4. Hand each group one folder containing information about one cause of the Dust Bowl. It is imperative that students focus on one cause at a time. 6 minutes/folder should be enough time to read, discuss as a group, and summarize.
5. Instruct students to summarize each cause in the appropriate column of their matrix. When it's time, they will pass it to a neighboring group. It will make your life easier if you specify a specific direction (see classroom setup diagram below).
6. Once everyone has read all 7 causes of the Dust Bowl, students will rank the 7 causes of the Dust Bowl in order of highest impact and explain their logic (in the 3rd column of the matrix- see handout).
7. Class Discussion